Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chatzimarkakis loses his Dr.

The University of Bonn decided today to rescind the doctorate it had granted to Jorgo Chatzimarkakis, German representative to the EU and (alternate) member of the Research Policy Board of the EU.

I am relieved that the decision was so clear - and a bit proud that they note the work that VroniPlag did in uncovering the plagiarism. But it was clear to me that there was no other decision possible. Despite Chatzimarkakis' attempts to declare his "method" of citing sources as the Harvard method, or the Oxford method, the university made it very clear that this is not acceptable. Full stop.

Chatzimarkakis has announced that he'll just do another doctorate. I think not - I can't believe that any professor would be willing to accept him as a doctoral student.

The Spiegel Online has a nice commentary on VroniPlag and anonymity - they interviewed me Monday about that. I think the author, Oliver Trenkamp, did a great job is pulling together all the arguments about why most of the VroniPlag people prefer to remain anonymous: It's not about us, it's about the thesis. And there are too many words of others in the thesis that are not clearly marked.

There are many blog comments and newspaper articles, I'll try to link to some: de plagio - Sprengsatz - Saarbrücker Zeitung bedauert der arme GC - focus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that I moderate comments. Any comments that I consider unscientific will not be published.